Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Atonement, by Ian McEwan


AtonementAtonement by Ian McEwan
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This book was so well lauded that I felt obligated to read it. I found the story compelling, the writing  both visceral and honest, and the characters compelling.
That said, I wish to god I had stopped reading when it felt like a good stopping point in the book.
I highly recommend, for the sake of long term enjoyability of this tale, setting it down and calling yourself finished when you feel everything has ended appropriately, because the ending? The actual endy ending after everything seems to have ended? It's wretched.
I know, it's the whole point of the novel, but it's wretched and left me feeling quite betrayed by the entire tale, so while yes, I liked the book, and yes, it's a well written historical novel, I hesitate to even give it three full stars.
I am glad I read Atonement, but I regret finishing it.


View all my reviews

No comments: