Thursday, November 18, 2010

Abomination Pie

We have one week left until Thanksgiving, so I'm sharing some of my favorite recipes.
I'm torn on this because I don't know if I'll be making it this year.  I need to find a new source for my canned pumpkin, or make my own pumpkiny goodness out of a pie pumpkin, but that takes all the easy peasy out of this recipe.  You see, apparently Libby's, the ready to go canned pumpkin at my grocery store is part of my NoNestle boycott.  Sad, no?
So I'm looking for options.  But nonetheless, here's what my brother has lovingly termed "Abomination Pie," which he says with an eager and full mouth.


Abomination Pie  
Crust:
1 box Yellow cake mix(-1 cup which is reserved for topping)
 1 egg
1/2 cup melted butter.

Mix & press into a 9"x 13" cake pan.

Filling:
 1 large can of pumpkin   (This usually involves eggs and some spices.)

Follow directions on the can to make filling. Pour onto crust.

Topping:
1 cup Yellow cake mix,
1/4 cup turbinado or raw sugar
1/4 c soft butter
1 tsp cinnamon.
OPTIONAL- 3 Tbsp crushed toffee bits or nuts

Mix together and sprinkle on top.

Bake 45 minutes at 350.  Serve with your whipped cream of choice.


3 comments:

Slee said...

I went to Aldi and got some lovely non libby's pie filling. sweet! Pumpkin mania is back on this year.

Blue Moon Girl said...

I read this recipe to my mom over the phone last night. She thought it sounded awesome and we're getting the stuff to make it!

Slee said...

It's super yummo.