Tuesday, May 19, 2009

2 week alarm

We're officially two weeks into this crazy thing I like to call babyhood. You'd think I'd be better at it, considering I've done it before, but in the end, that just complicates things. I find myself comparing this and that all the time. DD wore prefolds, so should I feel guilty that I don't want to devote the time to oragami that I'd have to to prefold diaper DS? By this point I'd caved on breastfeeding DD. I admit it, the latch was bad in the beginning and I couldn't tolerate the pain. But does that mean I should feel superior to former me because I'm still an all night buffet?
The emotions are pretty crazy too. I'm sure sleep deprivation had a lot to do with the crying jag last night, though.
But nonetheless, here's my goal. I want to raise a happy, healthy, and sustainable baby boy. You with me on this? Sustainable. This means a lot of things. It means getting off my bumper and finishing sewing up some cloth baby wipes and making my own wipes solution. (Whatever happened to just a damp washcloth like my grandparents used?) It means researching a little more into the teatree oil psuedoestrogen issue. Does repeated exposure really lead to gynecomasta in prepubescent boys? It means not caving to the will of the bottle-nazis and continuing to breastfeed. It means being a bit of a lactivist when I need to. Sustainability means not buying the latest gizmos I don't need for baby, and only investing in the ones that really are going to reduce waste and replace other products with potentially harmful chemicals.
Its a lot of things. So yeah, its going to be a lot of mental work and a little physical work, but I think we can do this. Ya with me?

No comments: