Saturday, October 26, 2013

Book Review: Dream Weaver, Jane Yolen

Dream WeaverDream Weaver by Jane Yolen
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This book changed me. Huddled low in a library, trying to avoid the helpful gaze of a librarian and bored beyond all hope of salvation while my dad was busy talking to someone else, I plucked this slim volume off the shelf and decided to go ahead and read it. Don't misconstrue me and suppose that I didn't enjoy reading, I did. However, reading hadn't yet blossomed into a full-fledged hobby for me. I was pretty young and still reading mid-grade chapter books, at best, and teachers were still telling us that a lack of pictures and book length were some of the most important characteristics of any given text. This felt naughty. Some ten full page illustrations ornamented it's meager eighty pages of transporting storytelling.
I remember the first time I looked at the copyright page and saw that Dream Weaver was published in 1979. It was like Jane Yolen had written it just for me because she knew I'd been born. I know she didn't, but it felt that way, nonetheless.
The Tree's Wife particularly resonated with me at the time, and since then dryads have come to hold the foremost place in my heart with regards to mythic creatures. I keep a copy of this book near my bed, beside Faery Flag, just in case I need a good short bedtime story for one of my kids.
I love this book.

You can check out my quick and to the point reviews on.Biblivoracious.

No comments: