Friday, August 23, 2013

Austenland, by Shannon Hale, a Review

Austenland (Austenland, #1)Austenland by Shannon Hale

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I can not properly sum up my thoughts or experiences with this book. From the moment Jane began to discuss her obsession with the Pride & Prejudice DVDs, something in the tone reminded me of the work of Anne Rice, when writing under the pseudonym Anne Rampling. This slightly uncomfortable feeling bloomed as Jane headed off for Austenland. I must say, the premise of the novel's primary setting was about ten kinds of squicky for me. Romance with actors paid to pretend to like you? That's most unsettling.
However, after many plot twists, sadly predictable, I found the novel resolving around 2am and realized I hadn't wanted to put down a guilty pleasure in the least, and had read it cover to cover in a matter of hours.
I don't know that I'll read the sequel, and I don't know that I'd recommend it, but it did keep me turning the pages, even for all it's Regency propriety.

No comments: