Thursday, February 09, 2012

Clockwork Angel: A book review


Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices #1)Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Filled with wonders, tinkers, vampires, automatons, and demons, and resplendent with psuedo-period details, Clockwork Angel promised to be a grand Steampunk romp.  In terms of romping, it delivered, but only in as much as a paranormal romp.
The central characters compel the reader to keep turning the pages, even when supporting characters are thinly written stereotypes, and the mysteries hold attention, even when the Steampunk elements feel forced.
Clare disappointed me in that the feel of the reimagined era was lost to droll social commentary on gender roles and costuming. I wanted greater characterization, richer description, and deeper atmosphere.
That said, I am eager to pick up where Clockwork Angel left off, and am eagerly awaiting the second book.  My expectations for it won't be as high, but I do like where Clare is taking the story.


View all my reviews

No comments: