Sunday, December 04, 2011

Wrapped by Jennifer Brdbury


WrappedWrapped by Jennifer Bradbury
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Bradbury's Wrapped is a fun and compelling tale. I laid down to start it one evening, and found myself finished before I fell asleep some four hours later.  I enjoyed the story quite a bit, though at times I was irritated with the overt career vs relationship and gender role expectation vs individuality themes.  Yes, I love a good "girl triumphs over what others want her to do with her life," story, but they're more enjoyable when that is a subtle undertone, rather than an overt overtone.


Aside from that, it's an interesting trip into another place in time, and Bradbury does a marvelous job of evoking the bizarre customs of a time that considered itself extremely rational yet strikes the modern reader as surreal.  If you enjoy Victoriana, this is a good book for you.


As a side note, Wrapped is the sort of YA I feel comfortable recommending to my daughter, as there are no sexual relations, which is becoming more and more difficult to find in YA.


Can I get a w00t for family friendly mummies, espionage, natural history, and coming of age?  Yep, there it is. w00t.




View all my reviews

No comments: