Sunday, November 28, 2010

Belated Ribbon of Achievement

I don't know how I forgot to post this at the appropriate milestone, but nonetheless, we've been a happily functioning nursing dyad for a full 18 months and then some!


It occurred to me this morning, as I was nursing a grumpy bumped his head boy, that of all the things he's been doing in life, he's been doing this nearly the longest.
When he was born, first he learned to breathe. Babies already cry in the womb, and open and close their eyes. They hear, they taste, they move, they feel. So first, he learned to breathe. Then he learned to nurse. 

Nursing has been with him since minutes after birth, it calms him more swiftly than anything else, and I know that every day, unless he's sick, he nurses less and less, and soon it will taper off more, until one day it stops, but right now, I am fortunate to be able to spend milky snuggle time with my sweet little boy, who every day is more and more a little boy and less a baby. I am blessed to have him wake up four times in the night for a short nursing. I am blessed to be able to hold him, wear him, nurse him, snuggle him.  Some day, I'll be glad to get my body back, but I'll miss this.  I'll miss being able to help comfort and feed him in the way he's been doing since he was born.

No comments: