Friday, July 26, 2013

Blood Vines, by Erica Spindler: a Review


Blood VinesBlood Vines by Erica Spindler
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

When a book starts off with the main character copulating with her ex-husband, you know it's going to leave something to be desired. While the pacing was lively and the energy (among other things) always up, the foreshadowing was rather heavy handed and therefore the book unfolded precisely as one expected by the close of chapter two.
I specifically read this book because Spindler is from the same region I currently live in, so her body of work is the topic for our upcoming book club discussion. The book was better than I expected, but lacked the emotional gravitas I had hoped for.
If you are looking for a light mystery with plenty of bedding, this may well fit the bill, but be forewarned that it should come with a trigger warning for more than just murder and intrigue, but also infant loss and rape.

No comments: