Saturday, December 08, 2012

Rag Doll Prime

My mom is a firm believer that all little kids should have a Raggedy Ann or Andy doll. She's also a DIY-er. So, when my Mongoosine was about 18 months old, grandma decided to make her a Raggedy Ann.
Like all DIY projects, some of them don't go the way one plans, so after quite a bit of sewing, cutting, stuffing, painting and sundry labor, my mom got to the hair part and was plain old foundered of the whole project. This might be related to the fact she tried to do a whole passel of dolls at the same time.
So, of course, she brings the dolls to me and says "here- they need hair."
Mind you, this was 12 years ago, and long before I had ever learned to sew dolls or their hair. And like all curious children, Mongoosine found said dolls before any further progress had been made. So, she claimed three dolls and named them "Sissy, Sissy Too, and Sissy Too Also."
Yep, kinda like Larry, his brother Darryl, and his other brother Darryl.

I'm just going to let that sink in for a moment.

Alright, so this is, if I remember correctly, Sissy. I think the others have blue striped legs. But this was the first rag doll that ever made me wonder if I could make a doll.

I'm glad to say the answer is yes, and I'm happy that my son and daughter both still enjoy "the Sissys." Yes, I've offered to give them hair, and each time I have been told unequivocally no, so bald and beautiful they will stay.

Did you ever have a doll like that?

No comments: