Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Drowning in Laundry

I've heard or read many different strategies for dealing with Too.Many.Clothes. This is a problem I truly need to solve, because as it stands, my clothes are living all over the place. We don't have a real closet, just an open air rack to hang them on, and our make-shift dressers are all overflowing.
I know when this problem started for me. When I was a kid, my grandmother would buy a ton of garage sale clothes for me, and my parents thought it was rude to toss out things that someone gave you, and so I would live with them taking up most of the space, and the few things I actually liked and wore would just never get put away, since there was no where to put them. Well, I apparently got used to living that way, and it's spilled over into my adulthood and also into my children's clothes. So, I need some good advice here.
Some say every time something new comes in, something old goes out. Some people say to get rid of your clean clothes, since you're clearly wearing your dirty ones. Some people flip their hangers every so often and turn the hanger when the clothes are worn, and get rid of all the ones still facing backwards come time to switch again. It all seems a bit overwhelming.
Which method do you like, love, use, and recommend?  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I go through my closet every 6 months or so. If I haven't worn it in 6 months, it goes to Vinnies. I figure I'm not throwing it out, I'm giving it to someone who needs it more than I do ;)

Slee said...

i wish i had the courage to do that.