Wednesday, November 16, 2011

NaNo No Go?

So yes, I'm still doing NaNoWriMo, and today I worked up the real world people skills to go to my first NaNoWriMo write in.

It was great. I got my parents to babysit the JabberWalky and set out in the evening for an hour and a half of like minded writerly geekdom. Hosted at an indie local coffee shop, I got about 2k words down and advanced my plot substantially, all while supporting local business.

But here's the thing. I was the only NaNo-er in the building.  The ersatz organizers didn't even show. Sure, I know, these things are kind of informal, and yes, life happens, but it was a bit awkward looking around for anyone else who even knew what NaNoWriMo was and didn't actively have their homework in front of them.

Like I said though, it was great.  I probably got more done in that hour and a half than I would at home. There, I felt like some sort of real author, taking in a quiet nook of humanity and writing amidst the hipsters and the goths.

It was great.
While the write-in was pretty much a no go, I got a lot out of it and I'm glad I went.

So if you're nervous about going to that first write in, afraid you won't know anyone there, afraid you'll be the only one who shows, take it from me- it's okay to be the only one who shows. Who knows, maybe a private-public-write-in is just what your novel needed.

Word count: 37,219


No comments: