Tuesday, July 05, 2011

Tutorial Tuesday: Rosette Hair Clip

I found myself behind the other day.  I needed a gift for a teenage girl, and I needed a gift in less than 20 minutes. Solution? A frayed rosette hair clip.  I apologize for the quality of the pictures, but like I said, I had about 20 minutes, and I didn't want to miss the opportunity to share what I was doing with you.

Pretty, isn't it?

Materials:
Fabric Rosette (I'll write up that tutorial for you too.)
Green felt
Alligator Clip
Scissors
Hot Glue gun with glue sticks



Step 1: Plug in hot glue gun. Make sure it has something under the tip to catch the drips. 
Step 2: Using scissors, cut out a leafy shape from the green felt at least as long as the alligator clip.
Step 3: Pinch the end of the alligator clip so it opens. Apply hot glue to top side of it (the side with the bend) and with it still open, gently apply the leaf and press into place, still holding it open.  Hold this way long enough to sing the Alphabet song.
Be sure to cover the entire length of the alligator clip.
(the funky paper is there to catch drips, and yes, it's scrap paper)  I found it easiest to hold the piece upsidedown to apply pressure to both the opening mechanism and the leaf while taking a picture.


Step 4: Apply glue to the top of the leaf in a straight line approximately the size of the flower that is going to go on top.

Step 5: Press rosette into glue and hold there long enough to sing a round of The Song that Never Ends.

Step 6: Unplug hot glue gun and put away materials.

Step 7: Look at the clock and be proud of yourself.

Note: I'd much rather have glued this together with E-6000, but it's really stinky and I didn't have that long to let things dry.  However, it is a better adhesive, if you have time.

No comments: