Monday, March 14, 2011

Guilty Pleasures

Funny how we all have guilty pleasures. Last year, mine were things like watching Desperate Housewives and eating way to much ice cream. This year, it's spending too much time sitting at the computer and not enough time sewing.
Or maybe I just want to make sewing a new guilty pleasure?
I'll have to think about that.

I find it strange that we call them "guilty pleasures," though.
Am I accomplishing something spending hours a day on Twitter and Facebook? Probably not. Am I don't something I should feel guilty about? No.

Productivity is not moral. There is no prize for being the least likely to spend time doing things others do not value.  There is no religious obligation to spend free time working.  If one wants to read cheesey romance novels (perhaps ones set in Wisconsin?) very few people would argue that it's hurting anyone else... so why should one feel guilty?

Now that I think about it, I don't have guilty pleasures, I have idle pleasures.  Take that, popular lexicon. Now I'm going to go sew.

No comments: