Sunday, November 21, 2010

Pumpkin Haters Anonymous' Apple Crisp

Not everyone wants pumpkin pie. I get that. Spouse detests pumpkin and I can't get JabberWalky to do more than a bite or two of anything pumpkin, poor kid. If you have some pumpkin haters in your household, maybe an easy apple crisp is more their speed.


Pumpkin Haters Anonymous' Apple Crisp 

1/2 cup oats,
1/2 cup brown sugar,
1/4 cup flour 1/2 tsp cinnamon,
dash of salt,
1/4 cup butter,
2 1/2 lbs chopped apples*

Prepare apples in the bottom of an 8"x8" pan, combine other ingredients in a bowl then fork mixture on top of apples.

Bake uncovered at 350 for 40 minutes.

*I don't peel my apples. I just core and chop.  If your apples are very mushy, they make mushy crisp. If they're too sweet, well, ew. A nice crisp tart apple makes a better crisp.

I think the next time I make this I'll go ahead and sprinkle on some toffee as well. I like toffee.

No comments: