Tuesday, April 20, 2010

"That Interval Every Woman Loves"

While working on Beethoven's Ninth at rehearsal last night, the Alto section was having a tiny bit of trouble with a spot in the double fugue. Don't worry, you don't have to be a music nerd to read this.
They were having difficulty getting the right note, so the conductor stops us and they go over the section a few times, then she says, "it's not that hard, it's the interval every woman loves."  A major fourth.  For the non music theory nerds out there, a major fourth is the same interval you're accustomed to hearing at a wedding at the "Here Comes the Bride" moment.  That's a major fourth.

I kind of wanted to laugh because I've never been a fan of the traditional Wedding March, and a lot of people I know have walked down the aisle to something else.  Last May, my best friend walked down the aisle to the final movement from Beethoven's Ninth, ironically.  That's "Ode to Joy," for the non-nerds. Another good friend entered to the ever popular Canon in D. I walked down the aisle to a remix of Sarah Brightman's cover of A Whiter Shade Of Pale.

Seriously.  It's awesome. Not quite the Smashing Pumpkins introit I wanted, but good enough for a wedding without live music. I *did* play some Smashing Pumpkins during the reception line though.  I figured, if I had to stand there that long meeting spouse's extended family and friends, I'd "Stand Inside Your Love."  But I wanted something with a little bit of a symphonic edge without going overblown classical.  One of these days I'll sit down with the entire play list from my wedding and give you guys a good laugh.

Did you walk down the aisle to something fantastic or have otherwise unconventional music choices in your wedding?


2 comments:

Nifty Nappy Cloth Diapers said...

So I have to tell you this is not the "interval every woman loves" when I started reading. LOL!

When I learned a 4th that isn't the connection that was made for me. :)

But on to your question.... we didn't walk down the aisle to any music. Things are a little different when you are married in the Temple.
BUT during our reception my parents did sing a song to us. It was "Sunrise, Sunset" from Fiddler on the Roof! -I was the oldest and the first to get married.

Slee said...

I LOVE Sunrise, Sunset. I played it at my brother and my aunt's weddings. :-)
Of course, now I'm curious as to how things are different getting married in the temple.